Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Demon in the Milk

I recently found out that the raw (unpasturized) milk Mark and I have been drinking may have been contaminated with campylobacter bacteria.  If we were exposed to it, it didn't have much of an affect, lucky for us.  Unfortunately another family wasn't so lucky.  The Pittsburgh Tribune reported on their story:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_677255.html

It's very sad that that happened to Mr. Orchard, however, I really don't think they should be suing the farmer.  There are known risks from drinking unpasturized milk, and there is a warning label letting the consumer know about these risks.  I really hope that the state doesn't decide to make selling raw milk illegal based on this event.  I believe we should still have the right to choose to buy unpasturized milk (although I probably won't be buying it again for a while).  But hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment